Wednesday 29 April 2009

The Loch Lochy Munros

Jen gave me a day off from hostel work...with the proviso that I took the dog with me! That ruled out biking and climbing etc so we headed out for a walk. I'm almost embarrassed to admit that we've been here over a year and I hadn't done one of the Munros on our doorstep so we headed out to rectify the situation.

We parked down at Kilfinnan, just as I pulled up there was someone else setting off, looking like they were heading up to the Munros....rats....that meant I'd have to have Dylan on a lead so he didn't slobber all over them and ruin their day. The two walkers disappeared however - they must have headed off down the Great Glen Way rather than up into the hills, Dylan could run free without the danger of annoying other people!


We were soon on the top of the first Munro and it was then I realised I'd been singing "Grace Kelly" by Mika since I'd left the van. I cursed radio 2 for playing it just before I set off. "I could be brown, I could be blue, I could be vi-o-let sky...". Truly awful but it would not get out of my head.

As we headed back down to the bealach I could see the path zig-zagging up to the next summit with some people half way up. Before Dyls spotted them I clipped him onto his leash and followed them up. I clipped his lead on to my rucksack waist belt so I could still use my poles.....genius! With his extra pulling power we romped up the path. We overtook one of the walkers and arrived at the summit cairn at the same time as the other two.


I didn't fancy returning back down the zig-zags and the slog along the forest track so headed off along the lovely ridge towards Sean Meall ..."Am I too dirty? Am I too flirty? Do I like what you like?".... and down to Kilfinnan Falls and home.



Guess what was on the radio when I got back in the van? I might have to change my radio station of choice.

--Matt

No comments: