Sunday 26 April 2009

Use the flippin' door!

All was quiet on the hostel front so we decided it was time to give Dylan his first taste of wild camping. We thought he might end up ripping the tent in to a million pieces so we didn't stray too far from the hostel - we knew we could pack up and be home in an hour or so if we needed to. We also took the precaution of taking an old (and heavy!) tent just in case he destroyed it.


We headed up to the moor underneath Ben Tee in glorious late afternoon sun with Dylan looking dapper in his new day-glow "you won't lose me in the dark" collar. He was a bit of a pain whilst setting up the tent and running off with various things, but we managed to get the tent up despite his help. The biggest problem was his refusal to use the tent door, he just forced his way under the sides. Cries of "Use the flippin' door!" rang across the great glen for at least an hour.

I was half considering and midnight ascent of Ben Tee but the cloud descended as dusk approached so we settled on playing cards and drinking tea instead whilst Dylan ran around looking for trouble.

In the tent itself he wasn't too bad, it took him ten minutes or so to settle down but he was fine eventually, I even woke up doing "spoons" with him, lovely and warm.

--Matt

1 comment:

Dave Shone said...

Matt, I fully appreciate the comfort you found cuddling up to your dog. (Dylan I mean, not Jenny -I can feel her hackles rising from here!)

Many years ago I spent a singularly miserable night on a yacht, moored in the River Ribble just off St Annes, in sight of the Blackpool tower. I had my German Shorthaired Pointer, Friedl, with me. Both the dog and I were frozen, so there was only one answer and that was to curl up together in the same bunk. I had to put the lee-sheet up to stop him falling out.

He snored a bit but apart from that we both had a really cosy good night's sleep.

I don't think our relationship was ever the same again after that experience.