Saturday 18 April 2009

South Shiel Ridge (East section)

The hostel was ship shape and Jen was going to man the fort (woman the fort?) so I headed over to the South Shiel Ridge to do the easternmost 4 Munros (Creag a' Mhaim, Drium Shionnach, Aonach air Chrith and Maol Chinn-dearg) and have a wild camp - our first night apart since married life!

I sat in the van for a good 20 minutes staring up at the ridge trying to muster the motivation to set off up the long approach path, the ridge was covered in cloud but I hoped it would clear by the time I got up there. The plan was to set off late and get the Munro's bagged just before the sunset and have a little camp on the ridge. I nearly just turned around and drove home but I eventually got going, almost.... I'd forgotten my socks, luckily I had spare pair, unfortunately, as I un-balled them I realised that Dylan had got to them before I had.


The approach path eventually zig zags up towards the first summit which was hard going as every alternate "Zig" was head long into a 45mph wind. The first two summits where just a cloudy grey haze but as I approached the third... the clouds cleared, the wind stopped, the sun came out... fantastic views made even better by the sudden revealing.


I eventually made camp on a little spur on the south side on the ridge overlooking the Loch Quoich Munros. This is when I realised I'd forgotten to pack my sleeping bag and worse of all, I brought the wrong gas for the stove so no cups of tea either! I thought my pack seemed light.

I got a few hours of sleep before the cold really kicked in, I lay there shivering for a few hours before I gave in. About 3 am I put my boots back on and went out into the clag to stamp around a bit and warm up. 10 minutes later the clouds drifted away to show a bright starry night and a cloud inversion all around. I spent the next few hours playing with my camera.

View to the north

The early morning moon.

I made the summit of the fourth and final Munro for 6.30 am to watch the sun come up before I headed back down to civilisation and to our Scottish Independent Hostel.


Beats friday night TV.

--Matt

1 comment:

Dave Shone said...

Matt, if your planning for back-packing is like it is now, just think what it will be like when you get to my advanced age!

I'm hoping to go up into the Carneddau for a few days next week. That's if my blisters have gone from my last foray up there.

I'll let you know how much I forget to pack.

Super photos!

All the best

Dave